Guests: 7
Total: 7

+-Welcome to Twilightpeaks.net - Home of Ruins of Empire

Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis
and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas,
there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across
the world like blue mantles beneath the stars

— The Nemedian Chronicles

Thus begins The Phoenix on the Sword by Robert E. Howard, creator of the famous barbarian - Conan the Cimmerian. It was not the first story published by Howard, but Conan is his most enduring creation. He lives on in books, films, comics - he even has a MMORPG to his name! I've loved Conan since I was a kid. Just like I loved Tolkien from the first time I read The Hobbit. And just about anything else that smelled of sci-fi or fantasy genre. Which of course over time evolved to include role-playing games. Starting with Dungeons & Dragons - way back in 1986 - and expanding from there. Oddly enough the enchantment never wore away - even as a man grown I continue to enjoy these things. And I sincerely hope that I will continue to do so until the end of time!

I don't know who YOU are or how you ended up here, oh traveler of the internet, but welcome you are to visit this, my little patch of the shining kingdoms spread across the never-ending world that is the imagination! Or in a language more plain; Twilightpeaks.net is dedicated to the support of my gaming hobby in general, to the BIRTHRIGHT campaign setting in particular, and specifically the Ruins of Empire PbeM game (in all its incarnations).

As a long-time gamer, I have amassed a wealth of game-related material, and I sort of decided I'd share some of it. Over the years I've found a lot of interesting material on fan-based web-sites, and hopefully I can use this site to "pay back" some of the debt thus incurred. Hopefully you'll find some of the material here of use and who knows, maybe some of it may be of use to you in your own games as well. If so, then I think I'll call Twilightpeaks.net a success!

Anyway, the site was long in the making, because I for a very long time lacked three important components:

The Art of Electronic Documents: I actually managed to write down a lot of my usual game-related ramblings in an electronic format (beats having a zillion scraps of paper; wonder why I didn't think about that one long before) starting about ten years ago. Other than being a great way to store and organize information, the electronic format is sort of required for publishing on the www.

The Art of Using the Net: I have to confess that my use of the internet was born around the Y2K; before that I'd used computers only for playing the odd game, and not even that for several years at the end of the roaring 90's (too much beer and booze I suppose, and then there was the Army...). But in 2000 I took up PbeMing (what a nice abbreviation) and since then I've been a regular computer and net user.

The Art of Sharing: I'm not really much for sharing game-related material, at least I wasn't (not out of ill will, but because I lacked a proper medium). But that sort of changed when I by necessity had to put out rules and background info for my own PbeM, and when I found all manner of other fan-based sites that shared all kinds of great material. I then had both the medium and the incentive.

With those three things in place, it still took a while for me to learn some basic html and actually arrange for hosting and such, but at some point in 2005, Twilightpeaks.net was up and running! It started with just the RoE PBeM site, but I've added to it infrequently since then and will continue to do so; hopefully the site will grow over the course of many years to come.

The name Twilightpeaks is derived from the name of an Ars Magica (3rd Edition actually) Covenant - Twilight Peaks - not at all located in Mythic Europe. Indeed, the covenant and the campaign in which it played an integral role, was located in a fantasy world of my own making. The concept was simple; I wanted to use the Ars rules for magic, but take it out of Mytich Europe and place it in a world where magic was commonplace and mages could become almost as powerful as gods. I wanted ancient archmages of terrible power, huge magic-charged dragons, soaring city-scapes created by magic, Empires run by mages and more and more and more.

Suffice to say that it was a smashing success. The original player characters eventually became the powers-that-be at the Twilight Peaks Convenant, and what a covenant it was. The place was of truly epic proportions, both in the physical sense and (eventually) also in the magical sense. The campaign is long-defunct now, but I still carry fond memories about the place...and so, when the time came to find a domain name for the site I ended up with Twilightpeaks.net (which will hopefully also bring me fond memories in a few years), as a sort of tribute to the most fantastic locale conjured forth from the imaginations of myself and the Twilight Peaks players.

The content of this website is free; but do feel free to make a donation if you'd like to support the site and continue to enjoy its contents in the future!

Cheers,
B.

+- TP.net new RSS feed

Rumors about the coming of a new edition are flying, and Games Workshop has teased something for later this month.

Rumors are flying on Warhammer 40,000 fan sites after Games Workshop pulled Warhammer 40k Sixth Edition rulebooks from retailers late last month. That action was followed up by a variety of leaks from within the publisher. What we all know - and what Games Workshop has now teased - is that something is coming on the 24th of May. And it's almost definitely 7th Edition.

Dark Heresy Second Edition | Published 15 April 2014

— — Begin Transmission - —-

Brave Acolytes:

What’s New in the Second Edition?

This new edition updates the original Dark Heresy roleplay game while retaining the core mechanics—such as skills, talents, weapons, and combat—familiar to veteran players.

Revised from over six years of player feedback, it also includes new rules for investigation, social interaction, vehicle combat, and more including a brand new setting for players to experience. As it shares many of the rules from the previous edition, earlier supplements and adventures can be adapted for use with minor effort.

To learn more about the role of the Inquisition within the dark and deadly Askellon Sector and the other changes made in the Second Edition please see the game’s description page.

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the upcoming release of Dark Heresy Second Edition!

Dark Heresy Second Edition is a roleplaying game of danger, mystery, and brutal violence set in the decaying far future of Warhammer 40,000. Players take on the role of defenders of humanity and embark on hazardous adventures into the dark heart of the 41st millennium. As an Acolyte of an Inquisitor, you’ll serve at the front line of a great and secret war to root out dangers that imperil all of humanity.

The Acolytes of Dark Heresy shepherd Mankind from the manifold paths of damnation, with smoking boltguns or world-burning virus bombs if necessary. Acolytes cannot shirk from their noble calling, harsh as it might be, for the only thing worse than the lengths to which they may go to eradicate heresy is what might occur if they fail to act. 

Their investigations take them into deadly combat against twisted mutants, powerful psykers, and other abominations. They must face the horrors of Daemons and ancient aliens dedicated to the eradication of Mankind as a species, and battle for survival amidst webs of conspiracy and betrayal. Perhaps the greatest threat they’ll face, however, is that of their fellow man, for the human soul is such fertile ground for corruption. Foul cults and insane heresies permeate all areas of the Imperium, and no
one is beyond suspicion. 

The Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook

The 448-page, full-color Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook contains everything Game Masters and players will need to serve the Emperor in the Askellon Sector. With rules for quick and easy character creation, combat, and all of the source material necessary for GM’s to bring the Askellon Sector and its horrors to life, the Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook can be used to run both standalone adventures and ongoing campaigns. Dark Heresy Second Edition includes new material such as rules for Subtlety, which we’ll cover in greater detail in our upcoming series of previews. The included adventure, Dark Pursuits will have players immediately embroiled in a web of intrigue and heresy.

Into the Dark…

Dan Abnett, the bestselling author of numerous Warhammer 40,000 novels such as the Gaunt’s Ghost series, and the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, has written a short story about Acolytes in the Askellon sector specifically for Dark Heresy Second Edition! The story, Into the Dark… opens the Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook, and provides a glimpse into the life of an Acolyte, and the mysterious darkness that surrounds the Askellon Sector.

Presenting the Askellon Sector

Dark Heresy Second Edition introduces a new sector for Acolytes to explore, and even more vile and insidious heresies to discover and destroy.

Askellon is an ancient region, pre-dating the Imperium itself, and its history is filled with secrets and lies that have stained every generation. As if to compound its woes, the sector is cursed with a seemingly unending Warp storm known as the Pandaemonium that has waxed and waned across the millennia. Now, it grows ever more intense and dangerous with each passing century, raging like a hungry beast that seeks to devour the entire sector and heralding the prophesied Time of Ending, close to the culmination of the 41st millennium.

On its many worlds, from the strange lands of Hive Desoleum to the lawless asteroids of Port Aquila, from the devout population of Thaur to the red forges of Cerix Magnus, all watch in fear as the Pandaemonium’s rising ferocity heralds the sector’s fall. It will take the mightiest deeds of the Acolytes to forestall this terrible doom, if only for one day. 

Askellon is a major part of this new edition, as it lets us explore entirely new cultures and peoples, and also introduce new adversaries. Within the sector, players will see a host of new characters, organisations, and cults. Their Acolytes will have no shortage of heresies to investigate and eradicate.

While Askellon is the setting for Dark Heresy Second Edition, fans of the Calixis Sector can rest assured that all of the background and source material created for that sector can still be utilized to run campaigns set there using the Dark Heresy Second Edition ruleset with minor effort. The addition of the Askellon Sector does not invalidate the Calixis Sector material. Rather, the creation of Askellon simply gives players a whole new sector to explore, and new heresies to eliminate.

Fight for the Imperium In His Name

For more information on Dark Heresy Second Edition, including the dark and deadly Askellon Sector and the role of the Inquisition within the Askellon please see the game’s description page. Then, in the coming weeks, we’ll explore what Dark Heresy Second Edtion is bringing to your gaming table in a series of in-depth previews!

Dark Heresy Second Edition will arrive in the third quarter of 2014. In the meantime, keep your boltguns at the ready. The fate of all of mankind rests with you, Acolyte. Serve your Emperor, and prepare to destroy heresy wherever you may find it. Never forget, innocence proves nothing.

—- End Transmission - —-

Dark Heresy Second Edition | Published 17 April 2014

A trail of corpses and forbidden xenos artifacts leads into the lawless depths far below Hive Desoleum. Vicious gangers and heretical cultists are out for blood, while the vile forces of Chaos are eager to devour fresh souls. Ready your bolter and chainsword, and enter the grim darkness of the 41st millennium... 

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the Dark Heresy Second Edition Game Master’s Kit, a vital resource for Inquisitors and Acolytes in their defense of Mankind. Within, Game Masters gain useful guidance and advice in crafting powerful Nemeses to act as recurring antagonists in campaigns across the ancient Askellon Sector. The kit also includes a brand new adventure that continues the action from the Dark Heresy Second Edition rulebook, and a deluxe Game Master’s Screen that puts the most commonly-used rules close at hand for easy reference.

Nemeses in the Askellon Sector

The Dark Heresy Second Edition Game Master’s Kit provides everything that Game Masters need to develop powerful Nemeses to oppose players. These powerful adversaries will provide tough opposition for players across entire campaigns, and GM’s can harness their power to create intense and challenging encounters in their adventures!

Desolation of the Dead

The included adventure, Desolation of the Dead, is a complete adventure that can be played on its own, or as an ongoing campaign following the adventure in the Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook.

In this adventure, the players’ Inquisitor has tasked them to investigate a possible xenos relic found amidst the scene of a horrible mass murder.  Their adventures take them from the lower hive reaches to the lawless depths far below its surface, where violent gangs and unholy mutants prowl decaying and pestilent regions. Deep in the Underhive, they must stop a foul cult festering in the lower depths of Hive Desoleum before its leader can raise a powerful Daemon and unleash hordes of reanimated corpses upon the hive!

Command the Askellon Sector

The Dark Heresy Second Edition Game Master’s Kit will be available in the third quarter of 2014. As you prepare to enter the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, keep checking back for more news and previews related to Dark Heresy Second Edition and Warhammer 40,000 Roleplaying.

The Armada module has been updated to version 2.2.x!

Hopefully I've caught any minor bugs and glitches before uploading, but if you spot anything, please report it!

NEW IN 2.1.6

- Corellian Conflict previews added

- new central "LoS" dot for squadrons

NEW IN 2.15

- wave 4 added

- minor tweaks

NEW IN 2.1.4

- wave 3 added

- minor tweaks

KEY CHANGES FROM v.2.1.0

You can follow the incremental improvements from 2.1.0 here if you're interested, but here is a summary:

- added a 2nd LoS tool

- clear tool now clears all range/distance measurements (in addition to the maneuver tool)

- added a straighten tool button

- added a button to load default setup values for ships/squadrons

- added a Report: SET button (so you don't have to type SET in the chat when done)

- added status phase refresh button (also cycles command stacks - so don't also manually cycle your ships!)

- quickly reorient ships during setup (including turning them 180 degrees)

- MANY key actions now auto-report to the chatlog (speed/hull/shields/defense tokens/command tokens, notching the maneuver tool etc.)

- dice roller now reports results in text to chatlog

- dice roller accepts 10 dice of each color (needed for wave 2+)

- dice roller has sounds

- unified hotkeys for shields and hull

- new hotkeys for many core functions 

- list of critical effects added

- added wave 3 previews (Gozanti and GR-75 + all the upgrade cards)

- bright arc lines

- 3x3 maps got moved over to the alternate size map pack

- and Dutch got some special markings on his Y-wing...how AWESOME is that!!!

THE FUTURE

The functionality of the nodule is pretty much what I want it to be. There could be some tweaks here and there, but unless someone has some very bright ideas I do not envision any major changes for the foreseeable future.

The next step is looking at higher-quality, unified graphics. So that's the main focus from now on (v.2.3.x)

COMPATIBILITY

2.2.x is NOT compatible with older versions. Old .vlogs are to be consigned to the scrap heap and new ones created! You cannot use old extensions - get the new equivalents instead!!!

At long last ransburger, in association with Green Knight, is proud to present the Star Wars Armada: Vassal module version 3.0.0 (official release):

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Armada

Alternate mirror: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5flpqhluuvy66/ArmadaModule_-_3.0.0.vmod?dl=0

Unofficial graphics mods:

Texted images pack (unofficial) for 3.0.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uk5og5z3opovfl/Armada%20graphics%20pack%20v3.0.0.zip?dl=0

1. Extract somewhere
  2. Open the module with an archive tool (winrar, 7-zip, etc.)
  3. Go to the images folder
  4. Press Add and select all the image files you just extracted
  5. Play!

Module w/texted images pre-installed (unofficial): https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo9rbnio2ik0lnx/ArmadaModule_-_3.0.0t.vmod?dl=0

Major changes:

• near total graphics overhaul, including new firing arc graphics
  • the new firing arcs take into account that attack range is measured from attacking hull zone, not just any part of the ship token
  • added an enormous amount of new features and automation

Minor changes:

• too many to mention

Those of you who are interested in a full, incremental change log, can check out the development/release threads from 2.0.0 forward:

2.0.0 https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/186142-vassal-v200-update-now-with-basic-how-to-guide/

2.1.x https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/193885-new-armada-vassal-module-version-210/

2.2.x https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/220062-new-armada-vassal-module-version-220/

2.3.x https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/228636-new-armada-vassal-module-version-230-beta/

Includes:

• everything up to and including wave 4, plus previewed CC and wave 5 cards
  • mock-ups of Arquitesn and Pelta included
  • new content will be added as soon as its previewed/released

Not included (new shuffling feature):

• the changes to damage deck shuffling I talked about in a developer blog have NOT been implemented
  • this means that every time you draw a card, the deck is reshuffled
  • if you draw a card, then undo and draw again, you'll get a different card at random (so don't do that)
  • I might still put this feature back in, but only if I can find a way to circumvent some limitations in Vassal

Compatibility:

• 3.0.0 is INTENTIONALLY not compatible with older versions - all players MUST migrate to 3.0.0 (or HORRIBLE things will happen)
  • you can use 2.5.0 setup logs without issue
  • older setup logs may require you to replace some or all components

Bugs:

• report them here (or PM Green Knight on FFG forums)

Feature requests/suggestions/questions:

• place them here (or PM Green Knight on FFG forums)

Future releases:

• no changes are planned for now
  • new content (CC and wave 5) will be added as becomes available
  • bug fixes and minor feature request will be applied in conjunction with new content releases (if possible, to keep down the number of releases)

How-to:

Matchmaking:

Regards,

ransburger and Green Knight

+-Recent Posts

Re: New PbP Birthright game by X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)
October 01, 2016, 10:14:12 pm

Re: New PbP Birthright game by Stjordvik Traders/SH (Tristan)
September 13, 2016, 06:45:22 am

Re: A question regarding Vassals by Lurk Skywalker
August 11, 2016, 08:02:10 am

Re: A question regarding Vassals by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:35:37 pm

Re: New PbP Birthright game by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:34:02 pm

Re: Happy Birthday! by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:33:31 pm

Re: 5th Edition SRD by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:32:48 pm

Re: Ruins of Empire: 1524 HC by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:31:06 pm

Re: Ruins of Empire: 1524 HC by X-ETN/Maire Cwyllmie (Libor)
June 27, 2016, 09:53:32 pm

Re: Ruins of Empire: 1524 HC by Ruideside/OM (RP)
June 17, 2016, 04:06:52 am

+-Recent Topics

New PbP Birthright game by X-Ilien & PCE/GeM (Linde)
October 01, 2016, 10:14:12 pm

A question regarding Vassals by Lurk Skywalker
August 11, 2016, 08:02:10 am

Happy Birthday! by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:33:31 pm

5th Edition SRD by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:32:48 pm

Ruins of Empire: 1524 HC by DM B
July 19, 2016, 12:31:06 pm

Zaidan again? by Ruideside/OM (RP)
November 19, 2015, 08:52:07 am

BRFC #1: 5E language rules. by Ruideside/OM (RP)
May 14, 2015, 02:50:34 pm

D&D 5th Edition by Ruideside/OM (RP)
April 29, 2015, 02:47:26 am

Tollanar details by Ruideside/OM (RP)
April 29, 2015, 01:32:29 am

Bob's Aebrynis Maps by Ruideside/OM (RP)
January 12, 2015, 06:49:21 pm

+-Downloads

Book 1 - Dark Omega - A Warhammer 40,000 novel
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 145
Views: 1139
Filesize: 2988.49KB
Date: May 14, 2014, 07:31:39 am
Comments (0)
By: DM B
Regent's Guide v3.5 Draft 2.21 in PDF
Rating: (None)