Author Topic: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...  (Read 14738 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline X-Points East

  • Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • *****
  • Posts: 626
  • Regency: 15
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »

IC:

After a pause, Elamien, looking at the High Hierophant, states, "Of course, a very small party,—and I mean the Patriarch accompanied by two to four individuals,—could attempt to locate the tomb and then to return to the rest, that spells might be directed with confidence.  But, in my opinion, that is not sound strategy . . . although I would be willing to participate."


Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

  • Sovereign
  • ******
  • Posts: 1.607
  • Regency: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
Bearing that difficulty in mind is it possible to reinforce the Veil right before we enter the tomb or from within if not before?
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

  • Former players
  • Noble
  • ****
  • Posts: 427
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »

IC:

After a pause, Elamien, looking at the High Hierophant, states, "Of course, a very small party,—and I mean the Patriarch accompanied by two to four individuals,—could attempt to locate the tomb and then to return to the rest, that spells might be directed with confidence.  But, in my opinion, that is not sound strategy . . . although I would be willing to participate."



Gaerred shakes his head.

"No, that would be an unwise and needlessly dangerous course of action," he says.

"I will attempt to at least divine the general location of the tomb. While it is true that the knowledge has been forgotten by men, at one point it was carried to the ears of the Lady and as such, perhaps She will give us a glimpse of it," He says.

"Please excuse me," he says.

OOC: Bjorn, Gaerred is going to go try a few Divinations looking into where the Tomb of Mantheander is.  He only need the province boundaries.

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »
Divinations are always tricky and the gods do expect their followers to take care of earthly affairs...but still, you are High Priest.

It does not reveal anything directly...but you are quite confident that the tomb is not entirely of this world, and that this is the real reason for your failure.
DM Bjørn

Offline X-LPA/Gaerred Khaiarén (Gray)

  • Former players
  • Noble
  • ****
  • Posts: 427
  • Regency: 10
  • High Hierophant Gaerred Khaiarén
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
Gaerred returns and relates that to the assembled group.  He seems to think that it would be best for him to wait until they reach Mholien and hopefully the Patriarch is have a better sense of where the Tomb is.

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

  • Former players
  • Regent
  • *****
  • Posts: 913
  • Regency: 42
  • Gender: Male
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »
From somewhat to the rear of the primary participants of the discussion, Marshal Balter speaks in a quiet but strong voice having arrived but recently. 

"The minions are nothing but a distraction, to be replenished without undue difficulty by their master, their destruction will serve mainly to permit those who will enter the tomb to do so without being sapped by endless battle and should not be seen as the main aim of the army of light about us.  The heroes who will enter the tomb should therefore surely surely strike out for the best estimate of the tomb's location as soon as the bulk of the enemies troops are distracted or destroyed for they will travel far more swiftly than an army this size."

"As regards those who will storm the tomb once it is found I note that in the Shadow World brute strength of body will mean little.  Only strength of mind and purity of soul matter in that benighted land.  I would remind all who seek to enter the tomb that our aim is not to slay the Grey Duke -  glorious though that feat would be - but merely to retrieve the Holy Book and any other artifacts our foe has gathered to aid him in freeing himself - should it be possible, stealth will be more valuable than strength."

I note that most of those who enter the tomb will certainly perish.  I am ready for martyrdom and the Aegis will endure well without me - I suggest that all consider how their people will fare when they fall before they enter the tomb - any who wish to win glory will doubtless find plenty of such in the waking world, only those whose desire is solely the return of the holy book should walk into the Shadow.

Description:  The Marshal is a wizened but still wiry elderly man, he wears a silver skullcap embossed with the symbol of Haelyn and fine chain of silvered mail.  The Marshal's skin is covered in old scars and he has clearly lived an ascetic life, for all his military bearing Edwin's gaze is disturbingly serene.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

  • Sovereign
  • ******
  • Posts: 1.607
  • Regency: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
But yes Marshal Balter likely few of us will return. If just the Holy Book of Law is brought back to the daylight world all sacrifices are worth it
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

  • Former players
  • Regent
  • *****
  • Posts: 948
  • Regency: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »
"So it must be then."

"We have held our counsel, and we have shared much information that will aid in the coming battle."

"If the tomb is not entirely in our world, strengthening the veil may prevent our enemy from coming out to face us. And it might likewise make our crossing over more difficult."

"I have a plan that may be daring, but it might aid us all the same..."

"We will go to our armies and begin the advance into the hills. We will make no effort of hiding. Indeed, our desire is to goad the enemy to come at us, to thin their ranks."

"This, of course, should not be at the expense of sound strategy when it comes to avoiding ambush and choosing the field on which to battle. We should secure our rear and supply lines with both actual encampments and hidden scouts to observe the eventual fate of these camps, and warn us if infiltration occurs from behind."

"When I gain an accurate fix on the Tomb, we will decide how to make the best use of our troops in the given situation. I find it likely that we will have to cross over. In this case, our army should still flag our personal banners, and we should conspire to give the impression that we are present and attempting to siege Manethander's lair."

"In reality, we will attempt to infiltrate the tomb and do our real job. Destroying or binding Manethander."

"The Book and its retrieval is not enough to stop him from breaking free or continuing to corrupt this part of the world. Indeed, the thieves were his agents and the Ogre and Adaliz were both created long before he even got his hands on the book."

"Once we succeed, or fail to the point where we must retreat, the High Hierophant should activate the ward that seals the veil. Preferably with us on the side of the living."

"The idea, is that even with Manethander dead, there may be several of his minions that will seek to spread into the living world under their own free will. If we throw up the barrier as we leave, they will be hindered, both securing our journey back to Ansien, and hopefully, forcing the creatures to remain indefinitely on the Shadow side of the veil."

"This is a plan. There may be circumstances that require its amendment and we will deal with these as we proceed. - In this, I also think of the preparation and set up time to even be able to set the ward."

"This is Elinie and your aid is appreciated as a gift from honorable people. As host and liege of these lands, I have one request. If we are to win, we must be able to act decisively and as one. If a decision must be made quickly, I urge you all, to honor my voice as the one making the final decision."

"In all cases where time is abundant, I desire to hear every suggestion that may bring success, and will not in any way ask for your subservience."

"All have had a voice at this meeting. Tomorrow we will join our escorts and move to the camp and from there; into the foothills."

"Thank you. And may Avanalaes rays find and shelter us all."
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

  • Sovereign
  • ******
  • Posts: 1.607
  • Regency: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »
Wallac nods his head to the Patriarch

"It sounds as if we have a plan. I for one will pledge my support for it as well as my soldiers. While I understand the overall command is to be had by Your Grace I suggest to share all battleplans, positions etc. with at least a handfull of commanders as to allow for qualified decision making in the heat of battle and in case communications get completely impossible. But I guess you have thought of that. Care to elaborate?"
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:54:17 PM by IHH/Pontiff Wallac Isilviere (Kasper) »
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

  • Former players
  • Regent
  • *****
  • Posts: 948
  • Regency: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 12:01:12 AM »
"I will let my generals form the plans of battle. For now, we retire and tomorrow we go."

And with that the meeting adjourned and the heroes journeyed to the forward camp, where they for long hours debated the correct order of travel, the size of rations, the standing orders for units losing access to new orders etc. etc. etc.

And Then, they went into the hills... Into the Grey.
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-Elinie/RiD (Niels)

  • Former players
  • Regent
  • *****
  • Posts: 948
  • Regency: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Formerly Star of the East
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15:32 AM »
Its a drab morning. Clouds roll heavily down the sides of the hills. Here the craggy faces and steep slopes seem more like true mountains.

Plants are sparse, straggly trees and other hardy growths cling to cracks where soil have gathered to allow them a tad of nourishment.

The horses are suffering, the hard ground makes it easy to throw a shoe and care must be taken or the horses go lame too quickly.

The Patriarch is sitting on his own. A fine Elinien stallion. He rubs its neck, sensing its wary demeanor and weariness beneath. "And not even half way in." He thinks to himself... As he has done many times before, Rashid closes his eyes and clears his mind.

"Where are you. Lead me now Hammoud... Let my Blood remember your deeds and lead me to your legacy. Where should I go, to end this, and preserve Elinie from this horror."
Formerly: His Grace, Patriarch Rashid ibn Daouta, Last Imperial Duke of the Eastern Marches, Duke of Elinie, Master of Sutren Hills, Holy Paladin of Avanalae, Light of Reason.

Offline X-IHH/Wallac Isilviere (Kasper)

  • Sovereign
  • ******
  • Posts: 1.607
  • Regency: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Pontiff Wallac Isilviere, High Prefect of the IHH
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
Entering the Grey Hills Wallac seek out Maester Kaleiman to ask him a question or two among..

"Maester Kaleiman I wonder if some people are more prone to the Vampires influence than others? I've heard that having the divine blood of the old gods running in ones veins confers a much higher resistance than a normale mundane - is it so? What about my Sidhe friend? He has no divine blood but he is Sidhe - will that help him against the vampiric influence?"
His Holiness Wallac Isilviere, Pontiff of All Anuire, High Prefect of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn

Offline DM B

  • Green Knight
  • Deity
  • Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 5.210
  • Regency: 51
  • Gender: Male
    • Twilightpeaks.net - Hone of Ruins of Empire
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »
Entering the Grey Hills Wallac seek out Maester Kaleiman to ask him a question or two among..

"Maester Kaleiman I wonder if some people are more prone to the Vampires influence than others? I've heard that having the divine blood of the old gods running in ones veins confers a much higher resistance than a normale mundane - is it so? What about my Sidhe friend? He has no divine blood but he is Sidhe - will that help him against the vampiric influence?"

I would say that depends more on the man than the blood...
DM Bjørn

Offline X-Haelyn's Aegis/RK (Andy)

  • Former players
  • Regent
  • *****
  • Posts: 913
  • Regency: 42
  • Gender: Male
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 11:30:49 PM »
Marshal Balter rides in humble fashion, here and there he intervenes in some petty squabble with practiced ease to settle the nervous, petulant or merely bored and avoid conflict between the troops; in the main however he simply rides, talks to the marching men, or prays more concerned seemingly with the state of the souls about him than the terrain or the threat of earthly attack.

Edwin's demeanour is one of unearthly calm.  Like the sea before some terrible storm his soul is settled to stillness that holds no contradiction or dispute within, the small group of templars who escorted him to Elenie seem more guarded and tense, they keep their swords close at all times and the symbols of their faith closer.
Robhan Khaiarén
High Marshal of Haelyn's Aegis
Work hard, walk with honour, be justly rewarded

Offline X-Points East

  • Grand-Maester of the P&H
  • Former players
  • Regent
  • *****
  • Posts: 626
  • Regency: 15
Re: Adventure 67: The Bonds Would Break...
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »

Its a drab morning. Clouds roll heavily down the sides of the hills. Here the craggy faces and steep slopes seem more like true mountains.

Plants are sparse, straggly trees and other hardy growths cling to cracks where soil have gathered to allow them a tad of nourishment.

The horses are suffering, the hard ground makes it easy to throw a shoe and care must be taken or the horses go lame too quickly.

The Patriarch is sitting on his own. A fine Elinien stallion. He rubs its neck, sensing its wary demeanor and weariness beneath. "And not even half way in." He thinks to himself... As he has done many times before, Rashid closes his eyes and clears his mind.

"Where are you. Lead me now Hammoud... Let my Blood remember your deeds and lead me to your legacy. Where should I go, to end this, and preserve Elinie from this horror."


IC:

Elamien Lamier, who has not taken an active rôle in the military operations or military planning and who has often been seen riding alone or with the occasional companion along the outskirts of the army, over the course of the advance into the Grey Hills, approaches her husband slowly on her steed, until she reaches his side.

"Rashid", she then begins, "do you not see it? . . . Open your eyes, my love, and see; and lead us to our destiny."